Sunday, February 24, 2013

Welcome


The term "The Golden Age of Hollywood" makes me think of old movies, of Katharine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart, but where exactly does this "age" begin and end? Like any curious mind of our time, I consulted Wikipedia for the answer.

Wikipedia offers defines it as a "style" of filmmaking used during this era, and offered some numerical data (1927-1960). What excited me the most, however, was the collage of stars with whose works I admire so much. I saw Ingrid Bergman, Henry Fonda, the Hepburns, etc. 

It was, first and foremost, the stars that sparked my interest in old movies, starting with Audrey Hepburn after seeing her in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (1961) in high school. I felt in love (who didn't?) and started watching more of her films. SABRINA (1954) remains a great example of how captivating old movies can be. You have three of the most charismatic people in the world--Hepburn, Bogart, Holden--and a script that is thoroughly witty and charming. One time I turned on the TV for background noise and it was on, and I was glued to the screen until it ended.

Cut to how many years later, I still don't consider myself a film buff, since the more you see the more you realize how much you haven't seen. But I have developed a passion for many of the stars and directors. Like most people, I consider the other Hepburn to be one of the greatest actresses that ever lived. I have a little crush on Anthony Perkins (pre-PSYCHO) and young Jimmy Stewart (pre-James). I can't get enough of Lauren Bacall's distinctive voice. In the meantime I have also come to consider myself a writer. I went to college and got myself a degree in English, and a minor in Writing, and am currently working on a novel and other fictional projects. True to my upbringing in the age of information, I'd rather work on multiple projects at a time than focusing on any one thing, so that while I am already overwhelmed with an endless and impossible list of things to do, I think starting a weekly blog about old movies sounds like a good idea.

So, here's how we're gonna roll. In the order of the stars listed on the Wikipedia page, I'm going to watch and write about one of his or her movies each week, starting with Garbo and ending with Pickford. Now, some of these stars I have been a fan of for years, some I have only heard of but never seen in action (such as Garbo), and some I've never even heard of (such as Pickford). For my idols I probably would watch something of theirs that I have never seen, which should result in some interesting entries about obscure, and possibly awful, films. For the ones unfamiliar to me, I will probably watch what they're best known for. This project will be, if nothing else, an education. 


(First row, left-right) Greta Garbo, Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Clark Gable, Katharine Hepburn, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Marlon Brando, Marx Brothers, Joan Crawford

(Second row, left-right) John Wayne, James Stewart, Buster Keaton, Claudette Colbert, Gene Kelly, Burt Lancaster, Judy Garland, Gregory Peck, Elizabeth Taylor, Kirk Douglas

(Third row, left-right) Bette Davis, Audrey Hepburn, Jean Harlow, Alfred Hitchcock, John Ford, Howard Hawks, Grace Kelly, Laurence Olivier, Marlene Dietrich, James Cagney
(Fourth row, left-right) Ava Gardner, Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Henry Fonda, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Orson Welles, Mae West, William Holden, Sophia Loren
(Fifth row, left-right) Vivien Leigh, Joan Fontaine and Gary Cooper, Spencer Tracy, Barbara Stanwyck, Lillian Gish, Tyrone Power, Shirley Temple, Janet Leigh and Charlton Heston, Rita Hayworth, Mary Pickford
(source: Wikipedia)



For my readers, I hope that you enjoy reading these entires, and that they inspire you to watch some of these films. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure if I will have any insights and knowledge to share. I am really no expert, though I will make an effort to learn more about these films as I continue to explore them, as much as time will allow. I can only promise that these entries will be written primarily to celebrate my love for OUR GOLDEN CINEMA, what it has accomplished and contributed to our civilization.

PS. I'm looking for contributors. Email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment